Background: After reposting the same New Year’s Resolution from 2008-2012 without success, I had to rethink it. I replaced it with a bucket list in 2013. I went from incremental goals (i.e. lose 10 lbs.) to life-changing goals.
Preface: At 12:05am on January 1st, 2013, I was lying face down in a cul-de-sac in Mililani Mauka after a fireworks accident (don’t ask.) I was thinking, sheesh, can 2013 be over with? Unlikely as it seemed then, I was blessed to meetup with my Compassion sponsored child in the Philippines and walk across the Great Wall of China by year’s end. All things are possible.
This is my current bucket list. There’s a whole lotta travel, which is my passion.
• Seek after God’s heart
• Go snowboarding
• Appear in a TV commercial
• Create a work of art
• See a Red Sox vs. Yankees game
• Learn to cook a fancy gourmet dish
• Get a tattoo
• Own my dream car, a ’67 VW van
• Buy a suit (and wear it)
• Run a TED-Ed speaking event at SALT @ Our Kakaʻako
• Publish a TED-Ed animated lesson on the Hōkūleʻa Worldwide Voyage
• Tie a kihei
• Go on a missions trip to Japan
• Visit Hiroshima & Miyajima Island
• Visit Hong Kong
• Eat phở in Vietnam
• Visit London
• Visit Prague in the Czech Republic
• Go to Oktoberfest in Germany
• Travel to Istanbul
• Travel to Marrakech
• Travel to Angkor Wat in Cambodia
• Visit Aotearoa
• See the Taj Mahal
• Witness the Aurora Borealis
• Attend a World Cup Soccer match
√ Visit my sponsored child in the Philippines
√ Revisit New York City
√ Travel to Machu Picchu
√ Walk across the Great Wall of China
√ Visit Barcelona
√ Visit Rome
√ Visit Australia
√ Learn to skateboard
√ Take a solo (YOLO) trip to Paris
√ Visit my “homeland” of Okinawa
√ Find the best bowl of ramen in Hawaiʻi
√ Help launch a homeless outreach ministry in Chinatown
√ Run a TEDxYouth event at school
√ Play guitar in a café
√ Own a condo near Ala Moana Beach (lifelong dream)
Amazing memories! I am also thankful that I have been blessed with things that I never even dreamed of.
Occasionally, I will open up my Moleskine and have a [re]imagine sesh. Continuing to work on my life goals, school goals, ministry goals, and travel goals.
Hope your bucket list is going well. Dream big!
Happy 2017! Hau`oli Makahiki Hou & God Bless!